It’s no secret that proper hydration is crucial during exercise, sports training and competition. Water accounts for 60% of our body. As we sweat, we lose valuable fluids and electrolytes, which can have a big effect on our physical and mental performance.
The Importance of Hydration
Staying hydrated enables your body to function properly in many different areas. It helps us transport essential nutrients, facilitate digestion, lubricate joints and body tissues, eliminate waste and regulate body temperature, blood pressure and circulation. These functions support our mental and physical health, allowing us to perform at a high level when it’s time to get in the gym or hit the field.
Fuel What’s Inside
Plain water is the obvious go-to for adequate hydration, but plain water alone is best for low-to-moderate intensity activities that are less than one hour in duration. For higher intensities or longer, more endurance-focused activities, many athletes will benefit from a sport drink that contains additional nutrients. A well-designed sport drink, like Profile Perform Activate, contains these important nutrients and it’s nutritious, delicious and safe.
Activate was strategically crafted to fuel you with the optimal ingredients necessary to hydrate, energize, and replenish your body before and during workout, training, or competition:
- Carbohydrates – Carbs help sustain athletic ability and performance. Activate contains fast digesting carbs for quick availability to the muscles, as well as slow digesting carbs that provide steady and sustained energy.
- Protein – A bit of protein before your workout can reduce muscle breakdown for faster recovery. Activate provides 5g of whey protein, which digests quickly for a more immediate response.
- Electrolytes – Electrolytes are lost through sweat, so it’s important to replace them. Electrolytes are vital for maintaining fluid balance in the body and nerve and muscle function. Activate helps your body retain water during your workout.
- Vitamins and Minerals – Micronutrients improve many important functions in the body like increasing the spread of oxygen, repairing muscles, building new muscles and protecting against oxidative stress. Vitamins and minerals also help maintain your bones, keep your fluids in balance and ensure your immune system is working properly.
- Caffeine – Need some extra pep in your step (or run, rep, hit, or shot)? Caffeine helps sustain your energy without altering your hydration. It stimulates your nervous system, which can improve your ability to resist muscle fatigue and train harder and longer.
Helpful Hydration Tips
So when and how often should you drink water or a sports drink, throughout activity? Here’s 4 helpful tips to help you stay properly hydrated when you need it most:
- Drink 17-20 ounces of water two to three hours before the start of activity.
- For lower-intensity, shorter activities, drink 8 ounces of water 20 to 30 minutes prior to starting activity and 7-10 ounces every 10 minutes during activity.
- If you’re about to endure a high-intensity or longer workout, drink Activate 20-30 minutes before activity. For activities that consist of 30 minutes or more at a vigorous-intensity or activities longer than 60 minutes at a moderate-intensity, drink Activate throughout for sustained energy.
- Within 30 minutes post-activity, drink an additional 8 ounces of fluid, plus 16-24 ounces of fluid for every pound of body weight lost after exercise.
Ensuring adequate hydration is key to performing your best and recovering quickly. Check out our blog on Healthy Hydration to understand the signs and symptoms of dehydration and find some helpful tips on assessing your hydration status.